Connectionists: Annotated History of Modern AI and Deep Learning

Richard Loosemore rloosemore at susaro.com
Fri Jan 27 13:19:39 EST 2023

Dear Imad,

Fair comment, although I heard Jeurgen say much the same thing 14 years
ago, at the AGI conference in 2009, so perhaps you can forgive me for
being a little weary of this tune...?

More *substantively* let me say that this field is such that many
ideas/algorithms/theories can be SEEN as variations on other
ideas/algorithms/theories, if you look at them from just the right angle.

If I may add a tongue-in-cheek comment.  I got into this field in 1981
(my first supervisor was John G. Taylor).  By the time the big explosion
happened in 1985-7, I was already thinking far beyond that paradigm.
When thinking about what thesis to do, to satisfy my Warwick Psych Dept
overseers in 1989, I invented, on paper, many of the ideas that later
became Deep Learning.  But those struck me as tedious and ultimately
irrelevant, because I wanted to understand the whole system, not make
pattern association machines.  This is NOT a claim that I invented
anything first, but it IS meant to convey the idea that to people like
me who come up with novel ideas all the time, but try to stay focussed
on what they consider the genuine prize, all this fighting for a place
in the history books seems pathetic.

There, that's my arrogant thought-for-the day.  You can now safely
ignore me again.

Richard Loosemore