Connectionists: Stephen Hanson in conversation with Geoff Hinton

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Mon Feb 7 10:57:34 EST 2022

Dear John,

I agree with you that cluttered scenes are critical, but Geoff’s GLOM paper [https://www.cs.toronto.edu/~hinton/absps/glomfinal.pdf] might actually have some relevance. It may well be that we need to do a better job with parts and whole before we can fully address clutter, and Geoff is certainly taking that question seriously.

Geoff’s “Stable islands of identical vectors” do sound suspiciously like symbols to me (in a good way!), but regardless, they seem to me to be a plausible candidate as a foundation for coping with clutter.

And not just cluttered scenes, but also relations between multiple objects in a scene, which is another example of the broader issue you raise, challenging for pure MLPs but critical for deeper AI.

Gary