Connectionists: Stephen Hanson in conversation with Geoff Hinton

Juyang Weng juyang.weng at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 19:39:17 EST 2022

Dear Gary,
Thank you for the link to Geoff's GLOM paper.  I quickly browsed it just
now.
Some fundamental comments, not all, to be concise.
(1) You are right, Geoff's GLOM seems to be a symbolic network, which
assigns a certain role to each group of neurons.
(2) Geoff's part-whole problem is too narrow, a dead end to solving his
part-whole problem.  I quote:
"Perhaps we can learn how to encode the information at each location in
such a way that simply averaging
the encodings from different locations is the only form of interaction we
need."   He got stuck with "locations".
Like Convolution that I used in Cresceptron 1992 and Geoff also used much
longer, as soon a feature representation is centered as a location, the
system does not abstract as Michaal Jordan complained at an IJCNN
conference.  Michael Jordan did not sa=y what he meant by "does not
abstract well", but his point is valid.
(3) Two feed-forward networks in Geoff's GLOM, one bottom-up and the other
top-down, are efficient pattern recognizers that do not abstract.   The
brain is not just a pattern recognizer.
(4) It is very unfortunate that many neural network researchers including
Alpha's DeepMinds have not dug deep into what a cell can do and what a
cell cannot.   Geoff's GLOM is an example.
I have a paper about a brain model and I sent it to some people to
pre-review.  But like my Conscious Learning paper that was rejected by ICDL
2021 and AAAI 2022, this brain model would be rejected too.
Your humbly,
-John

--
Juyang (John) Weng