Connectionists: Stephen Hanson in conversation with Geoff Hinton

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Thu Feb 3 11:59:58 EST 2022

Steve,

I’d love to hear you elaborate on this part,

 Many more shoes will drop in the next few years.  I for one don't believe one of those shoes will be Hybrid approaches to AI,  I've seen that movie before and it didn't end well.

I’d love your take on why you think the impetus towards hybrid models ended badly before, and why you think that the mistakes of the past can’t be corrected. Also it’ would be really instructive to compare with deep learning, which lost steam for quite some time, but reemerged much stronger than ever before. Might not the same happen with hybrid models?

I am cc’ing some folks (possibly not on this list) who have recently been sympathetic to hybrid models, in hopes of a rich discussion.  (And, Geoff, still cc’d, I’d genuinely welcome your thoughts if you want to add them, despite our recent friction.)

Cheers,
Gary