Connectionists: Stephen Hanson in conversation with Geoff Hinton

Stephen José Hanson jose at rubic.rutgers.edu
Thu Feb 3 08:10:25 EST 2022

Since AIHUB was the one who posted the recent discussion between myself
and Geoff, I suppose that could be the proximate causal event.
But in looking over the transcript, I think you are overreacting to the
single en passant comment in an hour about you.   Hardly, a  "personal
attack".

Moreover, I've known you for over 30 years, and frankly it does sound
like something you might have said );-)   And I agree your positions in
various books and articles have evolved over time.    But I and AIHUB
are always happy to correct transcripts that have seriously
miss-represented someone's claims.

I would encourage you to read the whole transcript, as you will see the
discussion does intersect with a number of issues you raised in an
earlier post on what is learned/represented in DLs.

Its important for those paying attention to this thread, to realize
these are still very early times.    Many more shoes will drop in the
next few years.  I for one don't believe one of those shoes will be
Hybrid approaches to AI,  I've seen that movie before and it didn't end
well.

Best and hope you are doing well.

Steve