Connectionists: practopoiesis

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Sat May 31 09:41:05 EDT 2014

On 5/30/14 5:01 PM, Danko Nikolic wrote:
> Dear John,
>
>   I just read your SASE paper to make a comparison to practopoiesis,
> as you asked. Interesting paper. Nice work.
>
>   I like your succinct stile, formal and accurate. Your theorems make
> it clear what you mean by awareness, etc.
>
>   Here is what I can conclude about "A theory of developmental
> architecture" by Juyang Weng:
>
> Markov decision process is a T2-system. It does not make a difference
> whether you have sensors that collect only outside information or you
> also have sensors collecting internal information. It remains a T2
> system. The same holds for actions. Internal actions do not change a
> T2 into T3 either.
Then, you must have rigorous and precise definition so that you are not
the only God to say T2 or T3.
If your work is scientific, your detailed, rigorous and precise
definition but be able to be verified to be true or false by other
researchers.
Otherwise, your work is religion like.

For example, in the above your writing, you do not say "why" SASE is T2
this is necessary for a scientific work.

>   Therefore, according to practopoietic theory, your theory falls into
> the category of T2-systems.
You do not seem to have a verifiable theory yet.   It appears to be
religion like to me.

>   As you know, I laid out arguments that this is not enough to produce
> intelligent adaptive behavior that matches biological behaving
> systems. My suggestion would be to find ways to expand it into a T3.
Your arguments are too vague to be qualified as scientific work.  In
religion, the God says "if you believe it, it is there.  Otherwise, it
is not."

-John

Email: weng at cse.msu.edu