Connectionists: practopoiesis

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 05:01:26 EDT 2014

Dear John,

  I just read your SASE paper to make a comparison to practopoiesis, as you asked. Interesting paper. Nice work.

  I like your succinct stile, formal and accurate. Your theorems make it clear what you mean by awareness, etc.

  Here is what I can conclude about "A theory of developmental architecture" by Juyang Weng:

Markov decision process is a T2-system. It does not make a difference whether you have sensors that collect only outside information or you also have sensors collecting internal information. It remains a T2 system. The same holds for actions. Internal actions do not change a T2 into T3 either.

  Therefore, according to practopoietic theory, your theory falls into the category of T2-systems.

  As you know, I laid out arguments that this is not enough to produce intelligent adaptive behavior that matches biological behaving systems. My suggestion would be to find ways to expand it into a T3.

With best regards,

Danko

On May 28, 2014, at 2:30 PM, Juyang Weng wrote:

> Danko, thank you for the links.  You might want to take a look at my Self-Aware and Self-Effecting (SASE)
> architecture.  Your three-traverse idea has some similarity to it, but your theory is not (yet?) supported by fully computational detail
> as SASE.
>
> -John
>
> On 5/28/14 6:58 PM, Danko Nikolic wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I made an effort to make practopoiesis more approachable to a wider audience:
>>

>> One: I wrote a short popular article on the implications of practopoiesis for artificial intelligence:
>>
>> http://www.singularityweblog.com/practopoiesis/
>>

>> Two: I made a list of the key concepts with a brief explanation of each:
>>
>> http://www.danko-nikolic.com/practopoiesis#Concepts
>>

>> I hope that this will be helpful.
>>
>> With warm greetings from Germany,
>>
>> Danko Nikolic
>>

> --
> --
> Juyang (John) Weng, Professor
> MSU Cognitive Science Program and MSU Neuroscience Program
> 428 S Shaw Ln Rm 3115
> Michigan State University
> East Lansing, MI 48824 USA
> Tel: 517-353-4388
> Fax: 517-432-1061
> Email: weng at cse.msu.edu

Prof. Dr. Danko Nikolić

Web: http://www.danko-nikolic.com

Mail address 1:
Group Leader
Department of Neurophysiology
Max Planck Institute for Brain Research
Deutschordenstr. 46
60528 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY

Mail address 2:
Research Fellow
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
Wolfgang Goethe University
Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60433 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY