Connectionists: Brain-like computing fanfare and big data fanfare

Chris McNorgan chris.mcnorgan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 19:55:43 EST 2014

I receive these emails in digest form, so I wasn't on top of the current
conversation. Given that neural networks operate over
neuronally-inspired processing units, I always found the lack of
crosstalk between neuroscience and connectionist modeling literatures
surprising. Though not nearly as ambitious as the BRAIN initiative, I've
recently published a paper in Brain Connectivity demonstrating the sorts
of interesting things that can come out of applying connectionist
modeling techniques directly to Big Data from resting state fMRI. I'm
not sure what sort of reception it will ultimately get from the
neuroimaging community, but it seems topical and perhaps it will be of
some interest to readers of this mailing list.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24117388

  A Connectionist Approach to Mapping the Human Connectome Permits
  Simulations of Neural Activity Within an Artificial Brain.

McNorgan C
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=McNorgan%20C%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=24117388>,Joanisse
MF
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Joanisse%20MF%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=24117388>.

      Author information<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24117388#>

      Abstract

Abstract Data-driven models drawn from statistical correlations between
brain activity and behavior are used to inform theory-driven models,
such as those described by computational models, which provide a
mechanistic account of these correlations. This article introduces a
novel multivariate approach for bootstrapping neurologically-plausible
computational models that accurately encodes cortical effective
connectivity from resting state functional neuroimaging data (rs-fMRI).
We show that a network modularity algorithm finds comparable resting
state networks within connectivity matrices produced by our approach and
by the benchmark method. Unlike existing methods, however, ours permits
simulation of brain activation that is a direct reflection of this
cortical connectivity. Cross-validation of our model suggests that
neural activity in some regions may be more consistent between
individuals, providing novel insight into brain function. We suggest
this method to make an important contribution toward modeling
macro-scale human brain activity, and it has the potential to advance
our understanding of complex neurological disorders and the development
of neural connectivity.

Cheers,
Chris McNorgan