Connectionists: Brain-like computing fanfare and big data fanfare

Włodzisław Duch wduch at is.umk.pl
Wed Jan 29 05:26:35 EST 2014

Dear all,

QM has yet to show some advantages over strong synchronization in classical models that unifies the activity of the whole network. There is another aspect to this discussion: we need to go beyond naïve interpretation of assigning functions to activity of single structures. We have to use a formalism similar to the quantum mechanical representation theory in Hilbert space, decomposing brain activations into combinations of other activations. In wrote a bit about it in sec. 2 of “Neurolinguistic Approach to Natural Language Processing <http://www.fizyka.umk.pl/publications/kmk/08-Enhanced-NN.html> ”, Neural Networks 21(10), 1500-1510, 2008.

QM seems to be attractive because we do not understand how to make a transition between brain activations and subjective experience, described in some psychological spaces, outside and inside (3rd and 1st person) points of view. I have tried to explain it in a paper for APA,   <http://www.apaonline.org/resource/collection/eade8d52-8d02-4136-9a2a-729368501e43/v12n1_Computers.pdf?hhSearchTerms=newsletter+and+computers+and+2012> Mind-Brain Relations, Geometric Perspective and Neurophenomenology,  <http://www.apaonline.org/> American Philosophical Association Newsletter 12(1), 1-7, 2012

QM formalism of representation theory may be useful also for classical distributed computing systems.

Best regards, Włodek Duch

Google W. Duch <http://www.google.com/search?q=W.+Duch>