Connectionists: Brain-like computing fanfare and big data fanfare

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Sun Jan 26 22:09:34 EST 2014

PS.

With respect to questions like “how does the brain represent time”:

I recommend you find the documentary titled “Berkeley” that showed recently on the "independent lens” series on  PBS

scan forward about an hour (its 4 1/2 hours long)  until you hear the " cognitive neuroscientist" (probably how he lists his occupation, although I don’t know for sure) lecturing students in his class on how time IS represented in the brain.

Even this mailing list should recognize that the assertion of the "amazing neuroscience discovery" that 40 Hz oscillations are driven by a special location in the brain stem, is Neuro-BS.

This is NOT ok, but way way way too common, in those who want to talk about the brain, want to market what they are doing using neuroscience, but have NO IDEA what they are talking about.

Shocking

I watched this documentary last night AFTER engaging in the connectionist Tet-a-tet all day yesterday.

you can imagine…..

Jim Bower

On Jan 26, 2014, at 7:35 PM, Danny Silver <danny.silver at acadiau.ca> wrote:

>   23 Problems in Systems Neuroscience, edited by L. Van Hemmen and T. Sejnowslti

Dr. James M. Bower Ph.D.

Professor of Computational Neurobiology

Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies.

15355 Lambda Drive

San Antonio, Texas  78245

Phone:  210 382 0553

Email: bower at uthscsa.edu

Web: http://www.bower-lab.org

twitter: superid101

linkedin: Jim Bower

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments to it may be privileged or contain privileged and confidential information. This information is only for the viewing or use of the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of any action in reliance upon, any of the information contained in this e-mail, or

any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly prohibited and that this e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be

immediately returned to the sender or destroyed and, in either case, this e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately deleted from your computer without making any copies hereof and any and all hard copies made must be destroyed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by e-mail immediately.