Connectionists: Brain-like computing fanfare and big data fanfare

John Collins collins at phys.psu.edu
Wed Jan 29 15:59:19 EST 2014

Ping,

You are undoubtedly correct about the typical cases you encounter in
psychology.  My remark was only intended to counter the idea that, when
experiment and theory disagree, it is always the theory that is to be
blamed.  The situation is not universal in physics.  E.g., in the 1960s
and early 1970s, the situation in high-energy physics was very like what
you describe for psychology.

John