Connectionists: Brain-like computing fanfare and big data fanfare

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Fri Jan 24 12:27:01 EST 2014

Dear Matthew:

My apology if my words are direct, so that people with short attention
spans can quickly get my points.  I do respect you.

You wrote: "to build hardware that works in a more brain-like way than
conventional computers do.  This is not what is usually meant by
research in neural networks."

Your statement is absolutely not true.  Your term "brain-like way" is as
old as "brain-like computing".  Read about the 14 neurocomputers built
by 1988 in Robert Hecht-Nielsen, "Neurocomputing: picking the human
brain", IEEE Spectrum 25(3), March 1988, pp. 36-41.  Hardware will not
solve the fundamental problems of the current human severe lack in
understanding the brain, no matter how many computers are linked
together.  Neither will the current "Big Data" fanfare from NSF in
U.S..  The IBM's brain project has similar fundamental flaws and the IBM
team lacks key experts.

Some of the NSF managers have been turning blind eyes to breakthrough
work on brain modeling for over a decade, but they want to waste more
taxpayer's money into its "Big Data" fanfare and other "try again"
fanfares.  It is a scientific shame for NSF in a developed country like
U.S. to do that shameful politics without real science, causing another
large developing country like China to also echo "Big Data".  "Big Data"
was called "Large Data", well known in Pattern Recognition for many
years.  Stop playing shameful politics in science!

You wrote: "Nobody is claiming a `brain-scale theory that bridges the
wide gap,' or even close."

To say that, you have not read the book: Natural and Artificial
Intelligence <http://www.brain-mind-institute.org/press.html>.  You are
falling behind the literature so bad as some of our NSF project
managers.  With their lack of knowledge, they did not understand that
the "bridge" was in print on their desks and in the literature.

-John

Email: weng at cse.msu.edu