IJCNN 2000 paper available (fwd)

M. Healy mjhealy at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 18 22:19:00 EDT 2000

My paper accepted for IJCNN 2000,

M. J. Healy (2000),
"Category Theory Applied to Neural Modeling and Graphical Representations"

is available (with minor revisions) on the web in postscript format at

http://cialab.ee.washington.edu/pubs.htm .  I can supply .pdf format
for anyone who requests it from me at mjhealy at u.washington.edu .

This has a larger scope than my IJCNN 99 paper.  Following a brief
tutorial on category theory, it shows a simplified view of how functors
implement concept hierarchies in a category of neural architecture
components through the use of colimits (the content of the 1999 paper).
It goes on to show how natural transformations between the functors
interconnect the hierarchies at all their levels of abstraction.  This
yields a mathematical model of the semantics of the formation of
ever-more-complex concepts in a connectionist memory during adaptation,
and multiple implementations in subnetworks associated with different
processing functions (vision, tactile and other sensors, association
regions, motor function, etc.).  The multiple implementations are
hierarchies directed from the abstract to the specialized.  These must
be interconnected in a manner consistent with abstraction.  Here, we mean
that, first, different implementations of concepts at different abstraction
levels must maintain the same relative positions in the implementation
hierarchies.  Second, performing a cross-hierarchy association and then
abstracting or specializing (moving "down" or "up" in the associated
hierarchy) must be interchangeable with first moving "down" or "up"
and then moving across, so that the order of different stages in a
perception or reasoning exercise does not change the semantics of what
is being perceived or reasoned about.  My claim is that the functors
and natural transformations capture these peoperties mathematically.
A full paper is under construction.

Mike

Michael J. Healy                          A
                                  FA ----------> GA
(425)865-3123                     |              |
FAX(425)865-2964                  |              |
                               Ff |              | Gf
c/o The Boeing Company            |              |
PO Box 3707  MS 7L-66            \|/            \|/
Seattle, WA 98124-2207            '              '
USA                               FB ----------> GB
-or for priority mail-                   e             "I'm a natural man."
2760 160th Ave SE  MS 7L-66               B
Bellevue, WA 98008
USA

michael.j.healy at boeing.com          -or-            mjhealy at u.washington.edu