Job at GTE Laboratories: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery

Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro gps0%eureka at gte.com
Mon Mar 18 11:00:34 EST 1996

**** An Outstanding Applied Researcher/Developer needed for the   **********
**** Knowledge Discovery in Databases project at GTE Laboratories **********

TASK: Participate in the design and development of state-of-the-art
systems for data mining and knowledge discovery.  While the job will have
have significant research aspects, the focus will be on the development of
prototypes to be used in production setting.
	Our current projects include predictive customer modeling
and analysis of healthcare information.  We are applying multiple learning
and discovery methods to very large, high-dimensional real-world databases.

The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Machine Learning or related
fields and 2-3 years of experience, or an M.S. with an equivalent
experience.  The candidate should have experience with a variety of
machine learning algorithms, be familiar with statistical theory, have
practical experience with databases, and be proficient with
Web/Internet tools.  Excellent coding skills in C/Unix environment and
ability to quickly pick up new systems and languages are needed.  Good
communication skills, the ability to work as part of a team, and good
system maintenance practices are very desirable.

The candidate will join one of the leading R&D teams in the area of data
mining and knowledge discovery.

GTE Laboratories Incorporated is the central research facility for GTE and
supports GTE's telecommunications businesses.  We are the largest local
exchange telephone company and the second largest mobile service provider
in the United States.  Our research facility is located on a quiet 50 acre
campus-like setting in Waltham, MA, 20 minutes from downtown Boston.  Our
salaries are competitive, and our outstanding benefits include
medical/life/dental insurance, pension plan, saving and investment plans,
and an on-site fitness center.  We have a workforce of approximately 500
employees.

Proper work authorization required.

Please send a resume and a cover letter (preferably by e-mail, in ASCII) to:

Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro		e-mail: gps at gte.com
GTE Laboratories, MS-44     		tel: 617-466-4236
40 Sylvan Road               		fax: 617-466-2960
Waltham MA 02154-1120        		URL: http://info.gte.com/~kdd/gps.html