Papers

Subhash Kak kak at ee.lsu.edu
Fri Feb 9 17:15:59 EST 1996

The following two papers are available:

1. Information, Physics and Computation
 by Subhash C. Kak
appearing in FOUNDATIONS OF PHYSICS, vol 26, 1996
ftp://gate.ee.lsu.edu/pub/kak/inf.ps.Z

2. Can we have different levels of artificial intelligence?
 by Subhash C. Kak
appearing in JOURNAL OF INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, vol 6, 1996
ftp://gate.ee.lsu.edu/pub/kak/ai.ps.Z

Abstracts:
---------

1. Information, Physics and Computation
   The paper presents several observations on the connections
   between information, physics and computation. In particular,
   the computing power of quantum computers is examined. Quantum
   theory is characterized by superimposed states and non-local
   interactions. It is argued that recently studied quantum
   computers, which are based on local interactions, cannot
   simulate quantum physics.

2. Can we have different levels of artificial intelligence?
   This paper argues for a graded approach to the study of
   artificial intelligence. In contrast to the Turing test,
   such an approach permits the measurement of incremental
   progress in AI research. Results on the conceptual abilities
   of pigeons are summarized. These abilities far exceed the
   generalization abilities of current AI programs. It is
   argued that matching the conceptual abilities of animals
   would require new approaches to AI. Defining graded levels of
   intelligence would permit the identification of resources needed
   for implementation.