NIPS*94 preprint available

Bernd Fritzke fritzke at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Feb 9 04:22:13 EST 1995

ftp-host: ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
ftp-filename: /pub/manuscripts/articles/fritzke.nips94.ps.gz
(148 kB compressed, 8 pages)

                *** DO NOT FORWARD TO ANY OTHER LISTS ***

The following article (NIPS*94 pre-print) is available by ftp from our
ftp-server (Bochum, Germany) and via WWW from my homepage (see below).

Since our ftp-connection is sometimes a bit slow I have also transferred the
file to the neuroprose archive. I assume it will be available from there (with
a .Z extension and 240 kB) within a couple of days. I decided, however, to
announce the paper now since several people did ask for it.

             "A Growing Neural Gas Network Learns Topologies"

                                Bernd Fritzke

                      Institut fuer Neuroinformatik
                         Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum
                               D-44780 Bochum
                                  Germany

                                 Abstract

         An  incremental  network  model  is  introduced  which  is
         able  to  learn  the  important  topological  relations
         in  a  given  set  of  input  vectors  by  means  of  a
         simple  Hebb-like  learning  rule.     In  contrast  to
         previous  approaches  like  the  ``neural  gas''  method
         of  Martinetz  and  Schulten  (1991,  1994),  this  model
         has   no   parameters   which   change   over   time   and
         is  able  to  continue  learning,   adding  units  and
         connections,  until  a  performance  criterion  has  been
         met.     Applications  of  the  model  include  vector
         quantization, clustering, and interpolation.

Thanks to Jordan Pollack for maintaining neuroprose.

Bernd

-- Bernd Fritzke * Institut f"ur Neuroinformatik        Tel. +49-234 7007921
   Ruhr-Universit"at Bochum * 44780 Bochum * Germany    FAX. +49-234 7094210
   http://www.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ini/PEOPLE/fritzke/top.html