tech report available

Tony Bell tony at salk.edu
Wed Feb 8 22:11:24 EST 1995

FTP-host: ftp.salk.edu
FTP-file: pub/tony/bell.blind.ps.Z

The following technical report is ftp-able from the Salk Institute.
The file is called bell.blind.ps.Z, it is 0.3 Mbytes compressed,
0.9 Mbytes uncompressed, and 36 pages long (8 figures).

It describes work presented at NIPS '94, with various embellishments,
and a version of it will appear in Neural Computation in 1995.

           Technical Report no. INC-9501, February 1995,
  Institute for Neural Computation, UCSD, San Diego, CA 92093-0523

             AN INFORMATION-MAXIMISATION APPROACH TO
             BLIND SEPARATION AND BLIND DECONVOLUTION

              Anthony J. Bell & Terrence J. Sejnowski

               Computational Neurobiology Laboratory
                       The Salk Institute
                   10010 N. Torrey Pines Road
                   La Jolla, California 92037

                            ABSTRACT

    We derive a new learning algorithm which maximises the information
transferred in a network of non-linear units. The algorithm does not
assume any knowledge of the input distributions, and is defined here
for the zero-noise limit. Under these conditions, information
maximisation has extra properties not found in the linear case
(Linsker 1989). The non-linearities in the transfer function are able
to pick up higher-order moments of the input distributions and perform
true redundancy reduction between units in the output representation.
This enables the network to separate statistically independent
components in the inputs: a higher-order generalisation of Principal
Components Analysis.
    We apply the network to the source separation (or cocktail party)
problem, successfully separating unknown mixtures of up to ten speakers.
We also show that a variant on the network architecture is able to
perform blind deconvolution (cancellation of unknown echoes and
reverberation in a speech signal). Finally, we derive dependencies of
information transfer on time delays. We suggest that information
maximisation provides a unifying framework for problems in `blind'
signal processing.

Can be obtained via ftp as follows:

  unix> ftp ftp.salk.edu  (or 198.202.70.34)

   (log in as "anonymous", e-mail address as password)

  ftp> binary
  ftp> cd pub/tony
  ftp> get bell.blind.ps.Z
  ftp> quit