neuroprose

Jordan B Pollack pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Fri Dec 29 16:12:36 EST 1989

*****do not forward to other newsgroups *****

It seems that the pub/neuroprose directory on cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu
was set up in such a fashion that ANY anonymous user could have
deleted it.  It has been restored as of November 11, 1989.  If you
placed a report in there since then, I apologize for the inconvenience
and ask anyone whose work was lost to re-post. Current contents:

barto.control.ps		   barto.control.ps.Z
barto.sequential_decisions.ps	   barto.sequential_decisions.ps.Z
gasser.phonology.ps.Z		   kehagias.hmm0289.tex
maclennan.contin_comp.tex	   maclennan.tex
miikkulainen.hierarchical.ps.Z	   pollack.newraam.ps
pollack.newraam.ps.Z		   pollack.nips88.ps
pollack.perceptrons.ps		   tenorio.cluster.plain
tenorio.speech_dev.ps

(This is obviously just a fraction of the tech reports announced on
the newsgroup, but the poll (below) shows that a few people appreciate
rapid retrieval.)

At the suggestion of Barak, I have changed the protocol somewhat to
avoid the problem of malicious vandalism in the future.  Unfortunately
it puts me in the loop. The pub/neuroprose directory is now publically
readable. It contains a subdirectory called Inbox, which is publically
writable.

To post a report, PUT it the pub/neuroprose/Inbox directory and send
me email, and I will move your file to the neuroprose directory and
acknowledge.  Similar intervention is required for deleting a report.
This seems less horrible than discovering the directory missing every
couple of months.

Jordan
--------------------------------
Here are initial results of the straw poll.

2 respondents have posted reports

12 have retrieved reports (average of 2)

12  find FTP easy to use, 1 hard
 8  find binary compression easy, 4 hard

11 votes for continuation.

Major Problems:
   No service in europe (4)
   Difficulty with Tex standard (3)
   Still cutting & pasting figures, cant use it (2)
   Non-unix mac is pretty incompatible (1)
   Plagiarization worry (1)
   Suspicion of technology (1)

*****do not forward to other newsgroups *****