[ACT-R-users] Models of listening to continuous speech?

Richard M Young r.m.young at acm.org
Tue Aug 11 16:10:47 EDT 2009

Hello Bonnie,

Some years ago, following on from David Huss's work with Mike Byrne,
Martin Greaves and I played around with simple models using the
audicon to deal with lists of isolated words in a short-term memory
experiment.  At least in our hands, the audicon was assumed to hold
"words" in some unspecified phonemic/phonological/articulatory code,
which therefore required an access to DM/LTM in order to retrieve the
word as a lexical item.

As I remember it -- which is not well -- we found it a bit clunky to
use the audicon to deal with ephemeral material spread out in time.
With no disrespect to those who had worked on it, I think it's fair
to say that not much thought had been given to the underlying design
of a transducer dealing with speech sounds.  For example, I *think*
we had to add an END signal to indicate the silence following the
last item in a list.

Martin later build partial models of the running memory span task
using a similar approach, and included them in his PhD thesis.  He
may be able to add to what I'm saying here.

Word recognition in speech is a well-studied area in cognitive
psychology, and there are some good (ad hoc) models around, and I
believe a reasonable amount of consensus.  It had crossed my mind
from time to time that it would be an interesting area to bring into
contact with Act-R.  There are of course Act-R models of the lexical
retrieval stage itself.

Good luck!

~ Richard