Connectionists: Real or virtual? Grandmother cells or "virtual" grandmother patterns?

David Kappel david at igi.tugraz.at
Tue Aug 29 07:06:15 EDT 2017

Theory offers another possible solution to the puzzle that brains can
function in a stable manner, although neural codes drift, as
demonstrated most recently through experimental data in the Neuron paper
by Driscoll et al. from the Harvey Lab. The preprint

Reward-based stochastic self-configuration of neural circuits

https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.04238

shows that from a theoretical perspective stable reward-based learning
does not require stable neural codes or stable synaptic connections. In
fact, it is likely to work better without them.

--
David Kappel
Institute for Theoretical Computer Science