Connectionists: Real or virtual? Grandmother cells or "virtual" grandmother patterns?

Tim Shea tim.m.shea at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 01:24:30 EDT 2017

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to say I haven't ready your linked paper, though I will soon.
Jeff Rodny, Chris Kello, and I have a paper in a special issue of *Language,
Cognition, and Neuroscience* on the topic of evidence for and against
grandmother cells. The issue was organized by Jeff Bowers, and he wrote a
very helpful summary of the contributions here:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23273798.2016.1267782.

In our paper, we discuss evidence and provide a computational model as a
proof of concept to argue that single unit responses (whether localist or
distributed) may be transient across various timescales without affecting
"behavior". I wonder how well this maps onto your concept of a virtual
pattern? The basic insight we offer is that, to the extent neurons and
neural systems are plastic, relationships between external features and
single unit activity may be metastable. Brief snapshots of these
relationships can exhibit a high measured stability, particularly for a
subset of neurons selected *because *of their stable responses during the
recording window. Thus, 30% of neurons may be highly selective for 30
minutes, 10% may be highly selective for 2 hours, etc.

That being said, we present this side of the argument as a counterpoint to
the ongoing debate over distributed and localist representations, in which
both sides explain only the static properties of the representations.
Neither my coauthors nor I feel that all representations in the brain are
likely to be so transient, and even if this were true it would present a
serious challenge to what is even meant by representation (not a challenge
that we are eager to tackle).

Your thoughts and feedback are welcome on the paper:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/23273798.2016.1242760
PDF link <http://cogmech.ucmerced.edu/pubs/RodnyETAL2016-LCN.pdf>

Best,
Tim Shea