Connectionists: how the brain works?

Danko Nikolic danko.nikolic at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:38:49 EDT 2014

Hi all,

The problem of detailed vs. abstract forms that is being discussed is in
the heart of practopoietic theory: It addresses that problem in a way
similar to the distinction between genotype and phenotype. For example,
if the basic architectural principles of cortex would correspond to
genotype, then the specific variation due to a particular sensory
modality would correspond to phenotype. Practopoiesis generalizes these
genotype-phenotype--like relations to all levels of system organization:
It defines hierarchical organization of cybernetic knowledge, each
higher level possessing more specific version of the knowledge provided
by the preceding one.

Practopoiesis suggests that the most interesting part is not a choice of
describing the system either with detailed or with abstract operations.
Instead, the process of transition from abstract to details is the
important one to understand. This transition process, called 'traverse',
is responsible for development of the organism, learning new knowledge,
execution of cognitive operations, and generation of behavior. In each
case, some general knowledge gets instantiated into more specific one.
Practopoiesis explains how this happens within a hierarchy, and what the
role of a continuous interaction with the environment is.

Danko

--

Prof. Dr. Danko Nikolic

Web: http://www.danko-nikolic.com

Mail address 1:
Department of Neurophysiology
Max Planck Institut for Brain Research
Deutschordenstr. 46
60528 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY

Mail address 2:
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies
Wolfgang Goethe University
Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60433 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY