Connectionists: how the brain works?

Juyang Weng weng at cse.msu.edu
Thu Mar 20 21:17:48 EDT 2014

Mike,

the main idea for Autonomous Mental Development (AMD) is to
automatically generate (develop) brain regions and detailed circuits
recursively (scaffolding) using three things:
(1) The developmental program (simulating the functions of the genome)
(2) The circuits already generated so far from the birth time
(3) The experience of autonomous interactions with the environments.
Why?  The brain circuits are too complex to hand craft.  Every brain
circuit is very different.  For this reason, I think that the NIH
Connectome project is not very useful for understanding how the brain
works even one gets the perfect connection map without any error.

We have shown that different areas of the DN so developed indeed have
very different circuits.

However, we have not yet identified which part of a DN is hippocampus
and which part is cerebellum, etc., because we still mainly use
one or two sensory modalities (e.g., vision and audition, or vision and
touch) and a very small set of effectors.   A hippocampus uses all five
sensory modalities of a human body and all human body effectors to
develop.  A cerebellum uses very rich sets of receptors in the
somatosensory system and almost all body effectors.    To truly generate
(develop) hippocampus and cerebellum correctly, one needs to have at
least all major receptors and effectors that they use.  Therefore, I do
not think that anybody should statically model a hippocampus or a
cerebellum because without the developmental causality, any such static
circuits are grossly wrong and computationally inefficient.

In summary, the brain is nearly optimally developed to perform the
sensorimotor experience that a child/human has experience up to the
current time.

This is probably not a view supported by most people on this list, but I
respectfully ask everybody to at least consider patiently.

-John

On 3/19/14 4:27 PM, Michael Arbib wrote:
> Ignoring the gross differences in circuitry between hippocampus and
> cerebellum, etc., is not erring on the side of simplicity, it is
> erring, period. Have you actually looked at a Cajal/Sxentagothai-style
> drawing of their circuitry?
>
> At 01:07 PM 3/19/2014, Brian J Mingus wrote:
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> Focusing too much on the details is risky in and of itself. Optimal
>> compression requires a balance, and we can't compute what that
>> balance is (all models are wrong). One thing we can say for sure is
>> that we should err on the side of simplicity, and adding detail to
>> theories before simpler explanations have failed is not Ockham's
>> heuristic. That said it's still in the space of a Big Data fuzzy
>> science approach, where we throw as much data from as many levels of
>> analysis as we can come up with into a big pot and then construct a
>> theory. The thing to keep in mind is that when we start pruning this
>> model most of the details are going to disappear, because almost all
>> of them are irrelevant. Indeed, the size of the description that
>> includes all the details is almost infinite, whereas the length of
>> the description that explains almost all the variance is extremely
>> short, especially in comparison. This is why Ockham's razor is a good
>> heuristic. It helps prevent us from wasting time on unnecessary
>> details by suggesting that we only inquire as to the details once our
>> existing simpler theory has failed to work.
>>
>> > On 3/14/14 3:40 PM, Michael Arbib wrote:
>>
>>     >> At 11:17 AM 3/14/2014, Juyang Weng wrote:
>>     >>> The brain uses a single architecture to do all brain
>>     functions we are aware of!  It uses the same architecture to do
>>     vision, audition, motor, reasoning, decision making, motivation
>>     (including pain avoidance and pleasure seeking, novelty seeking,
>>     higher emotion, etc.).
>>     >>
>>     >> Gosh -- and I thought cerebral cortex, hippocampus and
>>     cerebellum were very different from each other.

Juyang (John) Weng, Professor
MSU Cognitive Science Program and MSU Neuroscience Program
428 S Shaw Ln Rm 3115
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824 USA
Tel: 517-353-4388