position available

Shun-ichi Amari amari at sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed May 11 18:27:56 EDT 1994

               Research Positions in Computational Neuroscience
                   ----- Riken Frontier Research Program

   The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN) will start
a new eight-years Frontier Research Program on Neural Information
Processing, beginning in October 1994.  The Program includes three research
laboratories, each consisting of one research leader and several
researchers.  They are laboratories for neural modeling, for neural
information representations and for artificial brain systems.

   We will study fundamental principles underlying the higher order brain
functioning from mathematical, information-theoretic and systems-theoretic
points of view.  The three laboratories cooperate in constructing various
models of the brain, mathematically analyzing information princples in the
brain, and designing artificial brain systems.  We will have close
correspondences with another Frontier Research Program on experimental
neuroscience headed by Dr. M. Ito.

   We hope that the laboratories will be directed by outstanding leaders
under international cooperation, keeping academic freedom, with
relatively rich research funds.

   Research positions, available from October 1994, are open for one-year
contracts to researchers and post-doctral fellows, extendable for at most five
years.  A laboratory leader position is also available for an outstanding
established researcher for a three to eight year contract.  The positions
will have standard Japanese salaries.

   Those who have interest may send curriculum vitaes, lists of papers,
some reference names and copies of one or two representative papers
to the director of the Program:

   Dr. Shun-ichi Amari,
   Department of Mathematical Engineering and Information Physics,
   Faculty of Engineering,
   University of Tokyo,
   Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113, JAPAN

   tel. +81-3-3812-2111 ex.6910