ICONIP'94-Seoul Extended Deadline and Registration

Soo-Young Lee sylee at eekaist.kaist.ac.kr
Thu May 12 15:18:20 EDT 1994

       International Conference on Neural Information Processing
                           ICONIP'94-Seoul
                        October 17 - 20, 1994

In Cooperation with
     International Neural Network Society
     IEEE Neural Network Council
     European Neural Network Society
     Japanese Neural Network Society

o Dates   :  October 17 (Mon.) - October 20 (Thur.), 1994

o Venue  :  The Swiss Grand Hotel, Seoul, Korea
            Tel : +82(Korea)-2(Seoul)-356-5656
            Fax : +82(Korea)-2(Seoul)-356-7799

o Official Language :
     The official language of the Conference is English which will
be used for all paper presentation and printed materials.

                       ***************
                       CALL FOR PAPERS
                       ***************

Topics of Interests:

All areas of neural networks and related areas such as fuzzy logic, genetic
algorithm, and chaos are included.

Neurobiological Systems
Neural Network Architectures
Network Dynamics
Cognitive Science
Self-Organization
Learning & Memory
Sensorimotor Systems
Time-Series Prediction
Optimization
Communication Applications
Power Electronics Applications
Image Processing & Vision
Speech Recognition & Language
Robotics & Control
Other Applications
Implementation(Electronic, Optical, and Bio-chips)
Hybrid Systems(Fuzzy Logic, Genetic Algorithm, Expert Systems, Chaos and AI)

                       TECHNICAL PROGRAM

Plenary Talks

Igor Aleksander, Imperial College, UK
       The Prospects for a Neural Artificial Consciousness
Kunihiko Fukushima, Osaka Univ., Japan
       Neural Networks for Selective Looking
Harold Szu, Naval Surface Warfare Center, USA
       Adaptive Wavelet Transforms by Wavenets

Invited Talks

Shun-ichi Amari, Univ. of Tokyo, Japan
       Information Geometry of Stochastic Multilayer Perceptron
Walter Freeman, Univ. of California Berkeley, USA
       Not available yet
Toshio Fukuda, Nagoya Univ., Japan
       Planning  and  Behavical  Control  of   Intelligent  Robot  System  with
       Fuzzy-Neuro-GA  based
       Computational Intelligence
Dan Hammerstrom, Adaptive Solutions, USA
       Silicon Cortex : The Impossible Dream ?
Il-Song Han, Korea Telecom, Korea
       URAN : A Hybrid Neural Network VLSI
Gerd Hausler, Univ. Erlangen, Germany
       Chaos, Pattern Formation & Associative Memory with Nonlinear Pictorial
       Feedback
Masumi Ishikawa, Kyushu Inst. Tech., Japan
       Structural Learning and Modular Networks
Mitsuo Kawato, ATR Human Information Processing Research Lab., Japan
       Teaching by Showing for Task Level Robot Learning through Movement
       Pattern Perception
Eun-Soo Kim, Kwangwoon Univ., Korea
       Target Image Processing Based on Neural Networks
Myung Won Kim, ETRI, Korea
       Artificial Creativity : Its Computational Modeling and Potential
       Applications
Kazuo Kyuma, Mitsubishi Electric, Japan
       Comparison of Electrical and Optical Hardware Implementation of Neural
       Networks
Francesco B. Lauria, Universita di Napoli, Italy
       On the Hebb Rule Implementation of a Boolean Neural Networks
Soo-Young Lee, KAIST, Korea
        Requirements and Perspectives of Neuro-Computers : How and Where
        Neuro-Computers Can Win Against General-Purpose Computers ?
Sukhan Lee, Univ. of Southern California & JPL, USA
        Theory and Application of Dual-Mode Dynamic Neural Networks
Yillbyung Lee, Yonsei Univ., Korea
        Saccadic Eye Movement Signal Generation Modeling Using Recurrent Neural
        Network
Joseph Malpeli, Univ. Illinois Urbana Champaign,USA
        A Thermodynamic Model of the Morphogenesis of the Primate Lateral
        Geniculate Nucleus
Robert Marks II, Univ. of Washington, USA
       Evolutionary Inversion and Hausdort Distance Evalution of Trained Layered
       Perceptions
Gen Matsumoto, Electrotechnical Lab., Japan
       The Brains as a Computer
Nelson Morgan, Univ. California Berkeley, USA
       Using a Million Connections for Continuous Speech Recognition
Yoichi Muraoka, Waseda Univ., Japan
       "Kansei" Information Processing-Can a
        Neural Network Live up to this Challenge?
Kumpati Narendra, Yale Univ., USA
       Switching and Turning Using Multiple Neural Network Models
Andras Pellionisz, Silicon Valley, USA
       Not available yet
John Taylor, King's College London, UK
       Where is Neurobiological Modelling going to End Up?
Philip Treleaven, Univ. College London, UK
       Intelligent Systems for Banking, Insurance and Retail : a Survey of UK
       Systems
Minoru Tsukada, Tamagawa Univ., Japan
       Theoretical Model of the Hippocampal-Cortical Memory System Motivated by
       Physiological Functions
Alex Waibel, Carnegie-Mellon Univ., USA
       Hybrid Connectionist and Classical Approaches in JANUS, an Advanced
       Speech-to-speech Translation System
Bo-Hyeun Wang, Goldstar Central Research Lab., Korea
       Hybrid Location-Content Addresable Memories(HyLCAM) and Its Application
       to Character Recognition Problems
Andreas Weigend, Univ. of Colorado, USA
       Predicting Predictability : How Well Can We Forecast the Future?
Paul Werbos, NSF, USA
       Brain-Like Intelligence : How Far are We and How can We get There?
Youshou Wu, Tsinghua Univ., Japan
       Strategy in Constructing a Large Scale Neural Network System for Chinese
       Character Recognition
Takeshi Yamakawa, Kyushu Inst. of Tech., Japan
       Wavelet Neural Networks Realizing High Speed Learning

Tutorials (Oct. 17 <Mon.>)

Igor Aleksander, Imperial College., UK
       Weightless Neural Systems
Harold Szu, Naval Surface Warfare Center, USA
       Chaos Theory, Applications, and Implementations
Alex Waibel, Carnegie-Mellon Univ., USA
       Connectionis Models in Multi-modal User Interfaces
John Taylor, King's College London, UK
       Automatic Target Recognition with Neural Networks
Andreas Weigend, Univ. of Colorado, USA
       Avoiding Overfitting in Time-Series Prediction
Takeshi Yamakawa, Kyushu Inst. of Tech.
       Fuzzy Logic : Theory, Hardware Implementation and Applications

ICONIP NEWs (Neural-net Evaluation Workshops)

In addition to regular conference sessions, special topical workshops, NEWs
(Neural-net Evaluation Workshops), are planned to promote in-depth discussions
during the conference period at the conference venue.

Currently following 5 NEWs are planned.

    NEW on Financial Applications
          Co-chairs : Guide Deboeck, World Bank
                      Rhee-Man Kil, ETRI
    NEW on Speech Recognition
          Co-chairs : Moon-Sung Han, SERI
                      Nelson Morgan, UC Berkeley
    NEW on Image and Machine Vision
          Co-chairs : Eun-Soo Kim, Kwangwoon Univ.
    NEW on Hybrid Systems
          Co-chairs : Hideyuki Tagagi, Matsushita Electric Ind. Co.
                      Bo-Hyun Wang, Goldstar Central Research Lab.
    NEW on VLSI Implementations
          Co-chairs : Alister Hamilton, Edinburgh Univ.
                      Il-Song Han, Korea Telecom

                  ORGANIZATION OF CONFERENCE

Conference Co-Chairs
   Shun-ichi Amari, Univ. of Tokyo, Japan
   In-Ku Kang, KCRA, Korea
   Seung-Taik Yang, ETRI, Korea

International Advisory Committee
   Igor Aleksander, Imperial College, UK
   Marcelo H. Ang, Jr., Nat'l Univ. of Singapore, Singapore
   Michael A. Arbib, USC, USA
   Yiannis Attikiouzel, Univ. of Western Australia, Australia
   Russel C. Eberhart, RTI, USA
   Walter Freeman, UC Berkeley, USA
   Toshio Fukuda, Nagoya Univ., Japan
   Marwan Jabri, Univ. of Sydney, Australia
   Nikola Kasabov, Univ. of Otago, New Zealand
   Teuvo Kohonen, Helsinki Univ. of Tech., Finland
   Ben I. Lin, Taiwan Nat'l Univ., Taiwan
   Cheng-Yuan Liou, Taiwan Nat'l Univ., Taiwan
   Teck-Seng Low, Nat'l Univ. of Singapore, Singapore
   Robert J. Marks II, Univ. of Washington, USA
   Gen Matsumoto, ETL, Japan
   Harold Szu, NSWC, USA
   Bernard Widrow, Stanford Univ., USA
   Youshou Wu, Tsinghua Univ., China
   Sha Zhong, Chinese Inst. Elec., China

Domestic Advisory Committee
   Jeung-Nam Bien, Korea Fuzzy Mathematics & Systems Society
   Jung-Wan Cho, Center for Artificial Intelligence Research
   Kun-Moo Chung, Institute for Advanced Engineering
   Seong-Han Ha, Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology
   Seung-Hong Hong, The Korean Institute of Telematics & Electronics
   Heung-Soon Ihm, Hyundai Co. Ltd.
   Kyung-Chul Jang, Ministry of Science & Technology
   Chang-Soo Kim, Goldstar Co. Ltd.
   Chu-Shik Jhon, Research Institute of Advanced Computer Technology
   Jae-Kyoon Kim, Korean Institute of Communication Sciences
   Moon-Hyun Kim, System Engineering Research Institute
   Sang-Young Kim, The Electronic Times
   Se-Jong Kim, Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy
   Yung-Taek Kim, Seoul Nat'l Univ.
   Cho-Sik Lee, The Korean Society for Cognitive Science
   Choong-Woong Lee, IEEE Korea Council
   Chung-Nim Lee, POSTECH
   Dong-Ho Lee, The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers
   Suk-Ho Lee, Korea Information Science Society
   Yong-Bok Lee, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
   Yong-Kyung Lee, Korea Telecom
   Seok-Keun Yoon, Ministry of Communication
   Si-Ryong Yu, Daewoo Electronics Co., Ltd.

Organizing Committee Co-Chairs
   Sung-Yang Bang, POSTECH
   Kyu-Bock Cho, Hanseo Univ.
   Ho-Sun Chung, Kyungbook Nat'l Univ.

Sub-Committee Chairs
   General Affairs : Eun-Soo Kim, Kwangwoon Univ.
   Finance : Sung-Kwon Kim, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
   Publicity : Sung-Kwon Park, Hanyang Univ.
   Publication : Il-Song Han, Korea Telecom
   Exhibition : Mun-Sung Han, SERI
   Local Arrangement : Yillbyung Lee, Yonsei univ.
   Registration : Duck-Jin Chung, Inha Univ.
   Tutorial : Soo-Ik Chae, Seoul Nat'l Univ.
   Industrial Liaison : Gwang-Hyung Lee, Soongsil Univ.

Program Committee Co-Chairs
   Kunihiko Fukushima, Osaka Univ., Japan
   Stephen Grossberg, Boston Univ., USA
   Myung-Won Kim, ETRI, Korea
   Soo-Young Lee, KAIST, Korea
   John Taylor, King's College, UK

Program Committee Members
   Seung-Kwon Ahn, Goldstar Central Research Lab., Korea
   Igor Aleksander, Imperial College, UK
   Luis B. Almeida, INESC, Portugal
   James Anderson, Brown Univ., USA
   Kazuo Asakawa, Fujitsu Lab. Ltd., Japan
   Yiannis Attikiouzel, Univ. of Western Australia, Australia
   Eui-Young Cha, Pusan Nat'l Univ., Korea
   Soo-Ik Chae, Seoul Nat'l Univ., Korea
   Lai-Wan Chan, Chinese Univ. of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
   Sung-Il Chien, Kyungbook Nat'l Univ., Korea
   Sungzoon Cho, POSTECH, Korea
   Yong-Beom Cho, Konkuk Univ., Korea
   Jin-Young Choi, Seoul Nat'l Univ., Korea
   Myung-Ryul Choi, Hanyang Univ., Korea
   Duck-Jin Chung, Inha Univ., Korea
   Hong Chung, POSTECH, Korea
   Dante Del Corso, Politecnico-De Torino, Italy
   Yann Le Cun, AT&T Bell Lab., USA
   Rolf Eckmiller, Univ. of Bonn, Germany
   Francoise Forgiman-Soulie, Univ. of Paris Sud, France
   Kunihiko Fukushima, Osaka Univ., Japan
   Lee Giles, NEC Inst., USA
   Stephen Grossberg, Boston Univ., USA
   Yeong-Ho Ha, Kyungbook Nat'l Univ., Korea
   Dan Hammerstrom, Adaptive Solutions Inc., USA
   Il-Song Han, Korea Telecom, Korea
   Mun-Sung Han, SERI, Korea
   Stephen Hanson, Siemens Co. Research, USA
   Yuzo Hirai, Univ. of Tsukuba, Japan
   Young-Sik Hong, Dongguk Univ., Korea
   Naohiro Ishii, Nagoya Inst. of Tech., Japan
   Masumi Ishikawa, Kyushu Inst. of Tech., Japan
   Akira Iwata, Nagoya Inst. of Tech., Japan
   Ju-Seog Jang, Nat'l Fisheries Univ., Korea
   B. Keith Jenkins, Univ. of Southern California, USA
   Hong-Tae Jeon, Chung-Ang Univ., Korea
   Yeun-Cheul Jeung, Samsung Co., Korea
   Nikola-Kirilov Kasabov, Univ. of Otago, New Zealand
   Rhee-Man Kil, ETRI, Korea
   Byung-Ki Kim, Chunnam Nat'l Univ., Korea
   Dae-Su Kim, Hanshin Univ., Korea
   Eun-Soo Kim, Kwangwoon Univ., Korea
   Eung-Soo Kim, Sunghwa Univ., Korea
   Jai-Hi Kim, Yonsei Univ., Korea
   Jin-Hyung Kim, KAIST, Korea
   Jung-Hawn Kim, Univ. of Louisiana, USA
   Moon-Won Kim, Naval Research Lab., USA
   Kwang-Ill Koh, Goldstar Industrial Systems, Korea
   Seong-Gon Kong, Soongsil Univ., Korea
   Bart Kosko, Univ. of Southern California, USA
   Kazuo Kyuma, Mitsubishi Electric Co., Japan
   Francesco Lauria, Univ. Napoli, Italy
   Bang-Won Lee, Samsung Electronics, Korea
   Chan-Do Lee, Taejon Univ., Korea
   Choon-Kil Lee, Seoul Nat'l Univ, Korea
   Geun-Bae Lee, POSTECH, Korea
   Gwang-Hyung Lee, Soongsil Univ., Korea
   Huen-Joo Lee, Goldstar Central Research Lab., Korea
   Hwang-Soo Lee, KAIST, Korea
   Ke-Sig Lee, Samsung Group, Korea
   Sukhan Lee, Univ. of Southern California, USA
   Won-Don Lee, Chungnam Nat'l Univ., Korea
   Yillbyung Lee, Yonsei Univ., Korea
   Young-Jik Lee, ETRI, Korea
   Cheng-Yuan Liou, Nat'l Taiwan Univ., Taiwan
   Raymond Lister, Univ. of Queensland, Australia
   Teck-Seng Low, Nat'l Univ. of Singapore, Singapore
   Ho Chung Lui, Nat'l Univ. of Singapore, Singapore
   Song-De Ma, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
   Maria Marinaro, Univ. of Solerno Tuba, Italy
   Gen Matsumoto, Electrotechnical Lab., Japan
   Gyu Moon, Hallim Univ., Korea
   Pietro G. Morasso, Univ. of Genova, Italy
   Takashi Nagano, Hosei Univ., Japan
   Jong-Ho Nang, Sogang Univ., Korea
   Kumpati S. Narendra, Yale Univ., USA
   Jong-Hoon Oh, POSTECH, Korea
   Erkki Oja, Helsinki Univ., Finland
   Sigeru Omatu,  Univ. of Tokushima, Japan
   Eung-Gi Paek, Rockwell, USA
   Cheol-Hoon Park, KAIST, Korea
   Dong-Jo Park, KAIST, Korea
   Sung-Kwon Park, Hanyang Univ., Korea
   Andras Pellionisz,  Silicon Valley Neurocomputing Inst., USA
   Michael Perrone, Brown Univ., USA
   Alberto Prieto, Univ. de Granada, Spain
   Demetri Psaltis, California Inst. of Tech., USA
   Hide-Aki Saito, Tamagawa Univ., Japan
   Sebastian Seung, AT&T Bell Lab., USA
   Jong-Han Shin, ETRI, Korea
   Omori Takashi, Tokyo Univ. of Agri. & Tech., Japan
   Shaohua Tan, Nat'l Univ. of Singapore, Singapore
   Horia-Nicolai L. Teodorescu, Ecole Polytectechnique, Federale Lausanne
   Philip Treleaven, Univ. of College London, UK
   Minoru Tsukada, Tamagawa Univ., Japan
   Shiro Usui, Toyohashi Univ. of Technology, Japan
   M. Vidyasagar, Centre for AI & Robotics, India
   Bo-Hyeun Wang, Goldstar Central Research Lab., Korea
   Lei Xu, Chinese Univ. of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
   Pingfan Yan, Tsinghua Univ., China
   Hyun-Seung Yang, KAIST, Korea
   Young-Kyu Yang, SERI, Korea
   Toyohiko Yatagai, Univ. of Tsukuba, Japan
   Hyun-Soo Yoon, KAIST, Korea
   Shuji Yoshizawa, Univ. of Tokyo, Japan
   Byoung Tak Zhang, GMD, Germany
   Jacek Zurada, Univ. of Louisville, USA

Information for Authors:

Original papers are solicited that describe unpublished work on neural networks
or related topics such as fuzzy  logic, genetic  algorithm, and chaos.
One original  and five copies  of the  manuscripts in  English must be received
by May 31, 1994(Extended Duedate).  Submissions will  be acknowledged on
receipt.  The submitted  papers will be reviewed by Program Committee and
corresponding authors will be informed  of the decisions at  the end of
July  1994. No material submitted   will be   returned to
authors. The  Electronic-Mail or Facsimile Submissions are not acceptable.

Paper Format

The submitted manuscripts must be camera-ready on A4 size white papers with 2.5
cm margins on all four sides(24.5cm X 16.0cm printing area), and should not
exceed 6 pages, including figures, tables, and references.  Single space,
single  column  format in  times  or  similar font  style
with  10 point  size   is recommended. Centered at the  top of the first page
should be the complete paper title, full author   name(s), affiliation(s), and
mailing  address(es).   An abstract  with less  than 150 words should follow.
Authors  are encouraged to use   LaTex.  The appropriate  LaTex  style
file and example file can be obtained by FTP or e-mail. To get those files
by FTP, use the following instruction:

     ftp cnsl.kaist.ac.kr
     (LOGIN:) anonymous
     (PASSWORD:) <return>
     cd paperformat
     get ICONIP94.sty
     get ICONIP94-example.tex
     bye

If not convenient, just send an e-mail message to "iconip94 at cnsl.kaist.ac.kr",
of which the first 2 lines should be:

     send ICONIP94.sty
     send ICONIP94-example.tex

Non LaTex users may ask for an example of the paper layout by a fax.

Acompanying Letter

In an accompanying letter, the following should be included:

     full title of the paper
     corresponding author name with mailing address, fax number, and e-mail
     address
     presenting author name
     technical sessions (first and second choices)
     preferred presentation mode (oral or poster)
     keywords (up to 5)
     audio-visual requirements (overhead projector, slide projector, video)

The Program Committee may recommend to change the presentation mode, if
necessary.

Conference Proceedings

All papers at the oral and poster sessions will be published in Conference
Proceedings, which will be available at the Conference. At least one author for
each accepted paper must make advanced registration before August 31, 1994.
Only manuscripts  of author(s)  with this requirement will be published in the
Proceedings.

Paper Copyright

By submitting a paper, authors agree to the transfer of the copyright to the
Conference Organizer for the proceedings. All submitted papers become the
property of the Conference Organizer.

Oral Presentation

The official language of the  Conference is Engilish, and no  translation will
be provided.  The time assigned for contributed talks and invited talks will be
20 minutes (15 minutes for presentation and 5 minutes for discussion) and
30  minutes(25   minutes  for presentation and  5 minutes for discussion),
respectively. An overhead projector and a 35mm slide projector will be available
in the preview room. The presenters may test their transparancies and slides.

Poster Presentation

Specific time (about 1.5 hour) for poster sessions will be allocated without
any oral sessions in parallel.  For poster sessions each author will be provided
with 1.5m high X 0.9m wide bulletin board.  Authors are requested to remain
in the vicinity   of the  bulletin board  for  the whole
duration  of the session to  answer questions.

-  One backboard panel is available for poster presentation. A board is
   90cm X 150cm(WxH)
-  The Title, Authors' Name and Affiliation should be 20cm high at the top of
   the poster panel.
-  There should be a blank space square at the upper left corner for the
   reference number.
-  The poster should be prepared in English.
   Title should be brief, informative and readable from 2 to 3 meters.
-  Scotch tape, pins, paste and scissors will be provided by the secretariat.

* Poster Sample

+----+-----------------------+-----------
|NO. |TITLE,NAME,AFFILIATION | 20cm
+----+-----------------------+----
|                            |
|                            |
|                            |
|                            |       150cm
|                            |
|                            |
|                            |
|                            |
|                            |
|                            |
+----------------------------+-----------
|          90cm            |

o Letter of Invitation :
     Upon a request to the Secretariat, a Letter of Invitation to
ICONIP'94-Seoul will be sent to those who fully prepaid. Please note that
Organizing Committee will not bear any financial obligations to any part as a
result of its issue.

o Secretariat  :  All inquiries concerning the Conference should be addressed
                  to the Secretariat

                ICONIP'94-Seoul Secretariat
                c/o INTERCOM Convention Service, Inc. (Conference Agency)
                SL. Kang Nam P.O.Box 641, Seoul 135-606, Korea
                Tel : +82-2-515-1560/546-7065
                Fax : +82-2-516-4807
                E-mail : ICONIP at cair.kaist.ac.kr

o Important Due Date

     Extened Deadline for Paper Submission                      May 31, 1994
     Notice of Acceptance                                       July 31, 1994
     Deadline for Advanced Registration and Hotel Reservation   August 31, 1994

o Supporting Organization

     Samsung Electronics Co.
     Goldstar Co., Ltd.
     Hyundai Electronic Industry Company Ltd.
     Daewoo Telecom Ltd.