[ACT-R-users] Sleep as an associative learning mechanism

Kelley, Troy D CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) troy.d.kelley6.civ at mail.mil
Thu Oct 22 09:46:03 EDT 2015

Hello,

Some of you might be interested in my latest paper.  I am excited by this research.

I was doing work in fast memory retrieval for a robot and I sort of stumbled upon a computational justification for sleep.  The basic idea is that in order for the brain to create associative memory cues to exciting events, it needs to save the day's events into a buffer, then rewind and review those events in order to set associative cues to the moments preceding  the exciting events.  This allows the mind to create associative memory cues to exciting events and anticipate them in the future.

The paper should be attached.

Cheers,

Troy D. Kelley

RDRL-HRS-E

Cognitive Robotics and Modeling Team

Human Research and Engineering Directorate

U.S. Army Research Laboratory

Aberdeen, MD 21005

voice 410-278-5869

fax 410-278-9523