[ACT-R-users] PhD position in Groningen

Niels Taatgen n.a.taatgen at rug.nl
Thu Oct 15 08:13:08 EDT 2015

Dear colleagues & students,
Marieke van Vugt and I have a joint PhD position available, working on models of distraction and mind-wandering. Please apply if you are interested, or forward to potentially interested parties.

http://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/job-opportunities/overview?details=00347-02S0004QBP <http://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/job-opportunities/overview?details=00347-02S0004QBP>

Job description
The main aim of the project is to investigate when, how, and why we become distracted, and how cognitive training may reduce our tendency to become distracted. In particular, this project will look at different types of distraction (such as rumination) and different circumstances that induce distraction (e.g. cat videos). The PhD student will create models of these different types of distraction, and make predictions of how those affect performance on cognitive tasks. These predictions will be tested in behavioural experiments. The final component of the PhD involves using a novel cognitive modeling framework developed in our group to predict what training methods should reduce distraction, and to test those predictions in cognitive training studies.

Qualifications
A successful candidate has a master's degree in Cognitive Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Artificial Intelligence or a related field, experience in cognitive modeling, and has programming skills in MATLAB, C, or Python.

Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary of € 2,125 gross per month in the first year up to a maximum of € 2,717 (salary scale PhD students Dutch University) gross per month in the final year. The appointment is for a period of four years, which should be finished with a PhD examination. The fulltime appointment is temporary for 1 year with the perspective of prolongation for another 3 years. After nine months, an evaluation will take place of the feasibility of successful completion of the PhD thesis within the next three years. A training programme within the Graduate School of Science is part of the agreement. You and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional education and supervising that is specific to your needs.

Starting date: as soon as possible.

How to apply
Send a cover letter (with professional goals and a statement of interest), a curriculum vitae and two letters of recommendation (PDF format) to the job application portal until 29 October / before 30 October 2015 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). Although applications received after the deadline may be considered.

Information
For information you can contact:

	Dr Marieke van Vugt, m.k.van.vugt at rug.nl <mailto:m.k.van.vugt at rug.nl>  http://www.ai.rug.nl/~mkvanvugt/ <http://www.ai.rug.nl/~mkvanvugt/>
        Dr. Niels Taatgen n.a.taatgen at rug.nl <mailto:n.a.taatgen at rug.nl>  http://www.ai.rug.nl/~niels/ <http://www.ai.rug.nl/~niels/>
Niels Taatgen - Professor
University of Groningen, Artificial Intelligence
web: http://www.ai.rug.nl/~niels     email: n.a.taatgen at rug.nl
Telephone: +31 50 3636435   Office: Bernoulliborg 322