[ACT-R-users] Set-similarities.

db30 at andrew.cmu.edu db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri May 9 21:04:54 EDT 2014

--On Friday, May 09, 2014 05:03:36 PM -0700 Ganapathy Priya <gapri13 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear ACT-R users,
>
> We are working on modeling a task of visual object recognition. We
> would like to update the similarities of chunks (objects) as the model
> learns to recognize objects. We would like to start by making the
> set-similarities of chunks as 0 and then update the chunk
> (dis)similarities in small increments from 0 to -1 across several
> training rounds.
>
> Our chunks look like this: (add-dm (Caa1 isa object-content image "aa1"))
> (add-dm (Cab1 isa object-content image "ab1"))
>
> (set-similarities  (Caa1 Cab1 0))
>
> We are looking for sample codes that anybody can share where they have
> updated the chunk similarities during run-time. Any other functions to
> alter the similarities will also be useful.

Set-similarities/set-similarities-fct is the only recommended command for
setting the similarites between chunks, but sdp/sdp-fct can also be used to
do so (see the reference manual for details).  Either of those commands
can be called at anytime to change similarites.  Alternatively, one can set
the :sim-hook parameter to specify a function which is used to compute
similarities "on the fly".  The assignment model in unit 5 of the ACT-R
tutorial uses that to set similarities between non-chunk values, but it can
also be used to dynamically compute chunk similaritles.

Hope that helps,
Dan