[ACT-R-users] Print out specific buffers at a specific model run time

db30 at andrew.cmu.edu db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 20 11:39:41 EST 2010

--On Monday, December 20, 2010 11:09 AM -0500 "Stu @ AGS TechNet" <stu at agstechnet.com>
wrote:

> **Sorry for the double post but I originally sent this from the wrong (non-member)
> email account**
>
> ACT-R Users,
>
>     I would like to print out the contents (chunk slots and values) for a specific set
> of buffers (about 7 total) at a specific model run time. (For example, at 15.4 seconds,
> print out the contents of goal, imaginal, retrieval, visual, etc)
>
>     Is there a straightforward approach to do this.
>     I can't find it in the reference guide.
>  Thanks in advance!

The buffer-chunk command prints out the details of the chunks in buffers for
all the buffers provided (or all buffers if none provided).  Thus, this:

(buffer-chunk goal imaginal visual)

would print out the details of the chunks in the goal, imaginal, and visual buffers.

If you want something to happen at a particular time in the model run then you
need to use one of the scheduling functions described in the reference manual.
If you know the exact time then you can use schedule-event.  It takes a time
and a function to call (which could be a lambda specified inline).  So, if
you wanted to have the details of the goal and retrieval buffers printed at
time 15.4 seconds you could add this to the setup code or model definition:

(schedule-event 15.4 (lambda () (buffer-chunk goal retrieval)))

Since that is presumably for debugging purposes you probably also want to
specify the :maintenance flag on the event as true:

(schedule-event 15.4 (lambda () (buffer-chunk goal retrieval)) :maintenance t)

That will cause the model to ignore that event.  If you don't specify that
then the model could behave differently when you have that event scheduled
relative to when you don't and that's usually not a good thing.

Dan