[ACT-R-users] Act-r in C++ (UNCLASSIFIED)

"Marc Halbrügge" marc.halbruegge at gmx.de
Tue Jul 7 18:06:20 EDT 2009

> > Porting ACT-R itself to C++ would be a hard task, and I don't really
> > see a benefit.
> >

> There could be many benefits in porting to C++, such as:
>
>      - performance gains in speed and memory
>      - use of a language that is more common than Lisp (no pun intended)
>      - improved ease of coupling to devices
>      - easier parallel programming via threads or other means

I would say that these are very valid points when comparing C++ to Lisp on a more abstract level.

But when it comes to the specific task of running existing ACT-R models in a C++ architecture, one would end up writing just another Lisp interpreter in C++. That's why I don't expect any benefit here.

Coupling to devices and parallel programming can be done (easily IMHO) using foreign functions.

Just my two cents

Marc