[ACT-R-users] Act-r in C++ (UNCLASSIFIED)

Long Lyle lnl at psu.edu
Mon Jul 6 21:08:27 EDT 2009

On Jul 2, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Marc Halbrügge wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Is there any thought, or have there been any discussions, of
>> porting ACT-R
>> over to C++?  I know I can see Christian rolling his eyes from
>> here ;-)..
>> But I think it would be a useful project for someone.
>
> Calling C++ code from ACT-R is quite easy, here's an example:
> http://act-cv.sourceforge.net/
>
> Running ACT-R from within C++ is not that complicated, either. If
> you're interested, I can put up a source code example for that as
> well (I don't have that much time for this kind of stuff at the
> moment, though).
>
> Porting ACT-R itself to C++ would be a hard task, and I don't really
> see a benefit.
>
> Greetz from Germany
> Marc
> --
> Neu: GMX Doppel-FLAT mit Internet-Flatrate + Telefon-Flatrate
> für nur 19,99 Euro/mtl.!* http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02

There could be many benefits in porting to C++, such as:

     - performance gains in speed and memory
     - use of a language that is more common than Lisp (no pun intended)
     - improved ease of coupling to devices
     - easier parallel programming via threads or other means

     Lyle

Prof. Lyle N. Long
The Pennsylvania State University
http://www.personal.psu.edu/lnl