[ACT-R-users] ACT-R hits the high street

David Peebles d.peebles at hud.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 07:43:39 EDT 2007

Apologies for the frivolous nature of this message but I saw this scene (see photo attached) while visiting my home town last week and thought you should all be aware of recent ACT-R related developments here in the UK.

I went in to speak to the manager to ask why she'd chosen the name for the store (as opposed to Soar, Leabra, Clarion etc.) and she said that she'd only recently changed the name from NGOMSL after visiting Ann Arbor and bumping into the ACT-R group during their get-together at Zanzibar.  She was so impressed by the sharp looks, sophisticated demeanour and overall sartorial elegance of the group she had to change the name to reflect her admiration.  She also said something about having her "finger on the pulse" and ACT-R being "at the cutting edge", "where it's at" and "what the kids are all talking about on the streets" but I wandered the streets for over an hour and only heard ONE conversation between two kids concerning how it was possible for the human mind to occur in the physial universe...

If you look very closely you can just see that at the back of the store is a range of t-shirts from the ACT-R workshops, knee-length shorts (as worn by Dan), cream jackets (as worn by John) and retina-burning bright orange shirts (as worn by Niels and Greg).  They don't do a mail order service unfortunately, but if you get in touch with me with your order I'll get you what you want next time I go back home.

Cheers,

David

---
David Peebles