[ACT-R-users] GOMS Paper

Frank Ritter ritter at ist.psu.edu
Sat Sep 8 09:03:54 EDT 2007

thank you Rob for pointing out you paper and noting that the issue was out.

we also have an act-r model in that issue, which I follow roughly
Rob's template in announcing.

Ritter, F. E., Kukreja, U., & St. Amant, R. (2007). Including a model
of visual processing with a cognitive architecture to model a simple
teleoperation task. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision
Making, 1(2), 121-147.

Abstract:
This article describes progress in providing user models with
sufficient visual information and motor control to perform
teleoperation with an unmodified, physically realized robot. User
models that are built by extending cognitive models to interact
directly with interfaces can provide a theoretical basis for
predicting user behavior. These models can help in summarizing and
explaining usability issues in domains for which conventional user
testing is too time consuming, too demanding of other resources, or
too dynamic for static models. The user model consists of an ACT-R
cognitive model and the SegMan image-processing and interpretation
system. ACT-R supports directing simple rover navigation and
response-time predictions. SegMan supports interpreting many aspects
of HCI interfaces and can now interpret simple aspects of video used
in simple navigation tasks and can generate key presses and mouse
actions directly. Processing limited amounts of an image as a human
fovea helped make this system work in real time. A study in robot
teleoperation provides evidence that the cognitive and
perceptual-motor model approximates human behavior (based on
comparison of task time, learning behavior, and mouse actions) in a
simple navigation task. This work demonstrates how user modeling
techniques are maturing to the extent that they can be used for
assessing interfaces for dynamic tasks by predicting performance
during teleoperation, a common human-robot interaction task.

a prepublication version of the article is at
http://acs.ist.psu.edu/papers/ritterKSA07.pdf

cheers,

Frank
ps.  Rob, I'd like a copy of your paper.  my print copy has not arrived.