[Olympus developers 204]: Re: Question

Thomas Harris tkharris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 18:47:04 EDT 2010

All(*) the Olympus stuff has what we call the CMU license, which is about as
permissive as possible; it just protects against liability, but otherwise
its free to use, modify, and redistribute. Copyright is surrendered by the
author to the University. Here's the license:

//   Copyright (c) 2010, Carnegie Mellon University.
//   All rights reserved.
//
//   Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
//   modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
//   are met:
//
//   1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
//      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
//
//   2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
//      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
//      the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
//      distribution.
//
//   This work was supported in part by funding from the National Science
//   Foundation of the United States of America, and the CMU Sphinx Speech
//   Consortium.
//
//   THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY ``AS IS'' AND
//   ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
//   THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
//   PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
//   NOR ITS EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
//   SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
//   LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
//   DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
//   THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
//   (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
//   OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

I'm qualifying the word "all" because there's a lot of code in there, some
of it may have been borrowed from other sources and may have other licenses.
As far as I know no one has audited the code to verify that.

I have no idea procedurally how we arrived at this license. It was in place
before my time.

-Thomas