[Olympus developers 185]: Re: sapi clarification

Benjamin Frisch bfrisch at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 24 16:02:36 EST 2010

Hi Thomas,
If you are using Windows 7 SDK it should use SAPI 5.4 on Windows 7, SAPI 5.3
on Windows Vista, and SAPI 5.1 on Windows xp.  Windows 6.1 SDK uses 5.3 or
below.  Otherwise, it will be linking with the SAPI 5.1 library.  Let me
know if that seems to not be the case for you.

While, I don't know much about the true extent of SAPI's SSML support, other
than the XML TTS tutorial at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms717077%28VS.85%29.aspx.  Microsoft
seems to be claiming that SAPI 5.3 supports SSML in its enitierity.   I
recommend taking a look at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163663.aspx and perhaps playing
around with the SSML, the audio tag, and SAPI through .NET.  Also,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms719820%28VS.85%29.aspx shows how
with a change of a paramenter to ISpVoice, SAPI would instead play an audio
file name.  Perhaps, Kalliope could be tweaked if necessary to processes the
audio tag itself in a similar fashion to how it strips out SSML from input
to Flite.

Thanks,
Ben