[Olympus developers 86]: Fwd: Re: memory footprint of ravenclaw framework

Benjamin Frisch bfrisch at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 16 02:08:39 EST 2009

Hi,
   The two key challenges, in my opinion, for an embedded version of the
framework as it is in its current state of development is the reliance of
Windows Threading API's for in process threading, and the 10+ network ports
needed for inter-process communication (which is primarily due to the use of
the Galaxy Communicator).  There is work in progress by myself to make the
Olympus architecture build on Unix based Operating Systems, but there is no
work to replace the Galaxy Communicator with a version that uses Kernel
level inter-process communication nor is there an effort to create a single
executable version of Olympus to the best of my knowledge.  We would accept
contributions addressing both of the key challenges.  (E-mail me personally
with your preferred user name and password for filing bugs and committing,
and I will  get you setup to submit patches (that someone will checkin after
review) through "bug" reports on http://trac.speech.cs.cmu.edu/olympus , and
I will find out the policy about if and when to give commit access if
possible.)  In general, as mentioned earlier, our text to speech synthesizer
library and our speech decoder library are both optimized for embedded
systems already, but the rest of the system is not; however, while we
primarily run the system on powerful machines, the system is usable and
responsive on our less powerful development machines (which usually have
around a 2 GHz P4 and 1 GB RAM).  Both the replacement of the Window's
Threading API's (especially if the embedded device will not run Windows
Mobile/CE) and the Galaxy Communicator would significantly help the system
work well in an embedded domain.  I will be sending out an e-mail shortly
about a meeting to discuss progress on the Unix conversion, and you could
join remotely if you can.
  Of course, from the prospective of the system in general RavenClaw, Apollo
etc. both contain code for states that are rarely used and could probably
also be replaced with something more light-weight or have some states/code
not compiled.  I also understand that language processing is heavily reliant
on preprocessor variables and logic written for the specific processing in
C, and that could be probably be improved as well.
   I will talk to other developers tomorrow and get their opinions as well.

Thanks,
Benjamin Frisch
Undergraduate Research Assitant