Connectionists: short Op-ed to address AI problems

Stephen José Hanson jose at rubic.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 5 08:18:22 EDT 2024

Gary, this was before the LLM discovery.   Pierre is proposing a moonshot idea, that doesn't involve leaving the blackbox in the hands of corporate types who value profits over knowledge.  OPENAI seems to be flailing and having serious safety and security issues.  It certainly could be recipe for diaster.

Frankly your views have been all over the place.  DL doesn't work, DL could work but should be merged with the useless flotsam and jetsam from GOFAI over the last 50 years, and now they are too dangerous because they work but they are unreliable, like most humans.

Its hard to know what views of yours to take seriously as they seem change so rapidly.

Cheers

Stephen