Connectionists: Early history of symbolic and neural network approaches to AI

Asim Roy ASIM.ROY at asu.edu
Thu Feb 22 13:14:54 EST 2024

Both Reddy and Thorpe were associated with the Christof Koch-Itzhak Fried team at Caltech-UCLA. The following paper summarizes well the findings of that group.
Reddy and Thorpe
(2014) also define concepts cells as “invariant, multimodal.”
Thus, the fundamental characterization of these two concepts
is identical. “Multimodal invariance” implies associative
learning across modalities.
The claim by Barwich tha

Reddy and Thorpe
(2014) also define concepts cells as “invariant, multimodal.”
Thus, the fundamental characterization of these two concepts
is identical. “Multimodal invariance” implies associative
learning across modalities.
The claim by Barwich tha
Reddy, L., and Thorpe, S. J. (2014). Concept cells through associative learning of high-level representations. Neuron 84, 248–251. doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2014.10.004

Here are some quotes on their findings from my commentary: Frontiers | Commentary: The Value of Failure in Science: The Story of Grandmother Cells in Neuroscience (frontiersin.org)<https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/neuroscience/articles/10.3389/fnins.2020.00059/full>

“If a neuron's activity has “meaning and interpretation,” it cannot be part of sparse population coding:
Sparse coding is a form of population coding that uses a limited set of neurons. By definition, in population coding, one cannot assign “meaning and interpretation” to the activity of a single neuron. Reddy and Thorpe (2014)<https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/neuroscience/articles/10.3389/fnins.2020.00059/full#B6> state that concept cells have “meaning of a given stimulus in a manner that is invariant to different representations of that stimulus.” Since one can assign “meaning” to the activation of a concept cell, then that cell, theoretically, could not be part of any population coding scheme. It would be a contradiction.”

“Reddy and Thorpe (2014)<https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/neuroscience/articles/10.3389/fnins.2020.00059/full#B6> categorically state that “abstract, invariant representations” is “a hallmark of MTL concept cells.”

“Grandmother and concept cells are the same; any argument against one also applies to the other:
“Selectivity or specificity,” “complex concept,” “meaning,” “multimodal invariance” and “abstractness” (Reddy and Thorpe, 2014<https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/neuroscience/articles/10.3389/fnins.2020.00059/full#B6>) are all integral properties of both concept cells and grandmother cells.”

So read carefully what those neuroscientists write. You have plenty of evidence for grandmother cells, single cell activations having “meaning,” single cells representing abstract concepts (that’s why they call them concept cells), and single cells representing symbols.

Asim Roy
Professor, Information Systems
Arizona State University
Lifeboat Foundation Bios: Professor Asim Roy<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lifeboat.com_ex_bios.asim.roy&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=wQR1NePCSj6dOGDD0r6B5Kn1fcNaTMg7tARe7TdEDqQ&m=waSKY67JF57IZXg30ysFB_R7OG9zoQwFwxyps6FbTa1Zh5mttxRot_t4N7mn68Pj&s=oDRJmXX22O8NcfqyLjyu4Ajmt8pcHWquTxYjeWahfuw&e=>
Asim Roy | iSearch (asu.edu)<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__isearch.asu.edu_profile_9973&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=wQR1NePCSj6dOGDD0r6B5Kn1fcNaTMg7tARe7TdEDqQ&m=waSKY67JF57IZXg30ysFB_R7OG9zoQwFwxyps6FbTa1Zh5mttxRot_t4N7mn68Pj&s=jCesWT7oGgX76_y7PFh4cCIQ-Ife-esGblJyrBiDlro&e=>