Connectionists: Fully funded Postdoc in Systems Neuroscience at University of Copenhagen

Peter Petersen petersen.peter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 03:22:46 EST 2023

We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow for a project focused
on building BrainSTEM: A web application designed as an electronic lab
notebook for describing neurophysiological experiments as well as a
data-sharing platform for the community, where researchers can store and
share the information and metadata about their experiments (
www.brainSTEM.org <http://www.brainstem.org/>). The research will take
place at the Department of Neuroscience (in.ku.dk) at University of
Copenhagen in the lab of Dr. Peter C. Petersen (PetersenLab.org
<https://petersenlab.org/>).

The postdoc position is focused on the development of BrainSTEM, involving
the design of a standard language for describing experimental neuroscience,
semantic search functionality, stronger adoption of the FAIR principles,
and stimulating and supporting community uptake. The project is primarily
funded by the NIH, through the Brain Initiative U19 Oxytocin grant
<https://med.nyu.edu/departments-institutes/neuroscience/research/shared-research-resources/oxytocin-u19-brain-initiative-grant>.
The project will include occasional travels, e.g., to New York (NYU), Brain
Initiate meetings, SfN, FENS, and to pilot user labs.

Our research

Our lab was founded in 2022, with the goal of understanding the neuronal
mechanisms involved in memory and cognition and how imbalances in the
circuits can lead to pathological conditions. In particular, we study
spatial memory, and theta oscillations in behaving rats. We are using
state-of-the-art methods for measuring and manipulating neuronal activity
at large-scale and high specificity, together with advanced data analysis.
This includes using Neuropixels and other high-density silicon probes,
applying optogenetics, thermal and other perturbation techniques,
dimensionality reduction, and other advanced population-analysis methods.

But we are also strong supporters of open science and have developed
several tools and solutions for the neuroscience community (both software
and hardware solutions. We built CellExplorer - a framework for analyzing
single cells (CellExplorer.org <https://cellexplorer.org/>) and are now
developing BrainSTEM (BrainSTEM.org <http://www.brainstem.org/>). The
ultimate goal with BrainSTEM is to make neuroscience more open and FAIR,
promote collaborations, break down barriers between labs, and for BrainSTEM
to become the chosen platform of the community for sharing experimental
work, within labs, and across the scientific community.

*Application deadline: 20 November 2023, 23.59pm CET*
*Learn more about the position and the application process
here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/?show=160177
<https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/?show=160177>*

Peter C. Petersen, *PhD*
*Assistant Professor and Group Leader*