Connectionists: Chomsky's apple

Geoffrey Hinton geoffrey.hinton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 13:49:31 EST 2023

So you think that the idiots in the room have no understanding at all, even
of simple things like there is an arrogant man who does not think of them
as people?
Idiots understand less than the straight A graduate students who we think
of as normal, but they do have some understanding.  I don't think it will
help any of us to get to the truth of the matter if we think of
understanding as something we have a lot of and idiots and chatGPT have
none of.  ChatGPT seems to me to be like an idiot savant whose
understanding is different from mine but not entirely absent.

Geoff