Connectionists: Chomsky's apple

Richard Loosemore rloosemore at susaro.com
Fri Mar 10 11:04:48 EST 2023

On 3/9/23 6:24 PM, Gary Marcus wrote:
> If a broken clock were correct twice a day, would we give it credit
> for patches of understanding of time? If n-gram model produced a
> sequence that was 80% grammatical, would we attribute to an underlying
> understanding of grammar?

Exactly!

There isn't even an issue here.  There shouldn't BE any discussion,
because we know what these things are doing.

An LLM takes all the verbiage in the world, does an average and finds
all the question-answer linkages, and then in response to a prompt it
goes on a walk through that mess and cleans up the grammar.

Oversimplified, but that's basically it.  You get back a
smushed-together answerish blob of text, like you would if you asked a
question in a roomful of idiots and tried to make sense of what happens
when they all try to answer at once.

Among people who understand that, there shouldn't even BE a question
like "how much does it understand?".

Richard Loosemore