Connectionists: Chomsky's apple

Brad Wyble bwyble at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 12:28:02 EST 2023

Iam, to answer your very good questions....

The mismatch between the # weights and the database of tokens it indexes
can be explained as compression.  Likewise a jpeg image can provide a lossy
lookup table for any pixel value in a 1024x1024 image even though the # of
bits in the jpeg file + decoder is much smaller than the # of pixels would
seem to require.

Re: creating something new, this is part of a complex debate about
interpolation vs extrapolation.  The formula y = 4x + 3 can also provide an
infinite number of  "new" values compared to the 2 data points that defined
the equation but we don't think this equation is creating something new.
One can also ask whether an algorithm that generates new music in the style
of Brahms, or even combining two music styles together is truly creative,
or is it just exploring a space in between those styles?  If such models
were retrained on their own outputs for a long time, would they eventually
generate fundamentally new styles of music?  Would their output devolve
into random noise?  or would their output be forever trapped in a bubble
defined by their original input?

re: Understanding:  One obstacle to defining this productivity as evidence
of understanding is that variations of those questions can easily produce
nonsense answers, as this thread illustrates.

I think it is pretty clear that ChatGPT has a better model of english than
a dog or Alexa.   ChatGPT is quite good at the syntax.  It is less clear
that it is good at the semantic aspects given all the counterexamples one
can generate.  However it is not clear what it means to "understand
English", which makes this question hard to answer.

--
Brad Wyble
Professor of Psychology