Connectionists: Chomsky's apple

Axel Hutt axel.hutt at inria.fr
Thu Mar 9 00:40:22 EST 2023

Dear Terry,

it sounds convincing at a first glance that GPT may 'think'. However,
GPT has learnt from thousands/millions of texts and just retrieves
content found in its text data base. IMO the apple-example is no
indication that GPT thinks, just is well trained.

Thinking has also to do with invention, creativity or drawing
novel / own conclusions from learnt knowledge. I do not see this in
GPT.

Best

Axel

--