Connectionists: HOW I INTRODUCED BIOLOGICAL NEURAL NETWORKS IN 1957: LEARNING OF LISTS

Grossberg, Stephen steve at bu.edu
Fri Mar 10 10:13:17 EST 2023

 Dear Connectionist colleagues,

I was invited by my Dartmouth College classmates to give a short talk at our mini-reunion on February 23, 2023 about my life’s work developing neural network models of how brains make minds. I was asked to talk because this work began in 1957 when I was a Dartmouth Freshman taking Introductory Psychology.

Here is the video of the talk:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Efe5PyVDxbpoOM47jDVhaLYs3HntYCL/view

As the talk notes, I first studied how humans learn lists; e.g., the alphabet A, B, C,...during serial verbal learning.

Since those early beginnings, my colleagues and I have clarified how we consciously see, hear, feel, and know things about the world, and use conscious states to plan and act to realize valued goals. When the models break down, they exhibit behavioral symptoms of mental disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease, autism, and disordered sleep. The models are also used in adaptively intelligent algorithms and robots in engineering and AI. See sites.bu.edu/steveg<http://sites.bu.edu/steveg> for details.

My recently published Magnum Opus
Conscious Mind, Resonant Brain: How Each Brain Makes a Mind
https://lnkd.in/eiJh4Ti
summarizes these discoveries in a self-contained and non-technical way.

Best,

Steve Grossberg