Connectionists: PhD position in Computational Cognitive Neuroscience at Goldsmiths, London (UK)

Max Garagnani max.garagnani at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:47:50 EST 2023

Apologies for cross-posting –

The Department of Computing at Goldsmiths, University of London, has a vacancy for a 3-year full-time PhD student position in Computational Cognitive Neuroscience. The position will be supervised by Dr. Max Garagnani (https://www.gold.ac.uk/computing/people/garagnani-max/).

The project involves implementing a brain-realistic neurocomputational model able to exhibit the spontaneous emergence of cognitive function from a uniform neural substrate, as a result of unsupervised, biologically realistic learning. Specifically, it will focus on modelling the emergence of unexpected (i.e., non stimulus-driven) action decisions using neo-Hebbian reinforcement learning. The final deliverable will be an artificial brain-like cognitive architecture able to learn to act as humans do when driven by intrinsic motivation and spontaneous, exploratory behaviour.

ELIGIBILITY

---------------

Applicants should hold an Honour's degree in Computer Science or related fields (Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, etc.), or have completed (or being in the process of completing) a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline, such as Computational / Cognitive Neuroscience, Cognitive Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, or similar.

Advanced programming skills (in one or more of the programming languages Python,Java,C/C++) are essential.

Knowledge of cognitive neuroscience and/or brain mechanisms of dopamine-modulated learning would be a plus.

Applicants must possess excellent written and spoken communication skills in English and be able to demonstrate a strong motivation to conduct research.

BENEFITS

-------------

The studentship covers tuition fees (Home and Overseas) and provides, in addition, a tax-free yearly stipend of 18,000 GBP. Funding is available for three years, for full-time, on-campus studies only (relocation to the London area is required). Studentships are conditional on satisfactory progress, which is reviewed each year.

HOW TO APPLY

---------------------

Candidates are strongly encouraged to make informal enquiries with Dr Max Garagnani (email provided below) prior to submitting an application.

Please submit your application by visiting https://lnkd.in/eAWkz3ZT and clicking on the 'Apply Now' button, and include the following documents in your application:

• Motivation letter (max. 1 page) describing your research interests, reasons for choosing this project, and relevance of your background to the project

• CV (include information about qualifications and any relevant professional and/or research experience)

• Copies of transcripts, certificates and diplomas

• Publications (if any), and, where applicable, copy of Master thesis (as a PDF document)

• Contact details of two referees.

You should ensure that two supporting letters of references reach M.Garagnani at gold.ac.uk<mailto:M.Garagnani at gold.ac.uk> by the submission deadline, i.e., *** WEDNESDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2023 ***.

START DATE:

----------------

The desirable start date is 1st April 2023, although a later start date may be possible depending on the candidate’s circumstances.

THE COMPUTING DEPARTMENT AND GOLDSMITHS

Goldsmiths University of London is a world-leading centre of educational excellence where ground-breaking research meets innovative teaching and thinking. We are looking for inspiring, talented people to help Goldsmiths build on its global reputation as we expand our capabilities as a learning organisation.

As a college we are working to tackle inequality in all its forms and are working to promote equality on grounds of race, disability, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion and belief, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, and caring responsibilities. We are keen to attract candidates from diverse backgrounds who share our commitment to creating an inclusive culture in which all students and staff can thrive.

For further information about Goldsmiths and the Computing Department, please visit: https://www.gold.ac.uk/computing/

For any specific questions, please get in touch.

Max Garagnani, PhD. PhD.

--

Senior Lecturer in Computer Science

Joint Programme Leader, MSc in Computational Cognitive Neuroscience

https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/msc-computational-cognitive-neuroscience/

Department of Computing

Goldsmiths, University of London

Lewisham Way, New Cross