Connectionists: JAII lecture by Kenneth D. Forbus

Barbara Hammer bhammer at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 12 02:48:37 EST 2023

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to announce the next lecture organized by JAII
<https://jaii.eu/>, the Joint Artificial Intelligence Institute of
Bielefeld University and University of Paderborn:

      Lecture by Kenneth D. Forbus
      <https://users.cs.northwestern.edu/~forbus/> (Northwestern
      University) on January 19, 16:00-17:30 CET, "Qualitative
      Representations and Analogical Learning for Human-like AI Systems"

While there has been substantial progress in AI, we are still far away
from systems that can learn incrementally from small amounts of data
while producing results that are understandable by human partners. Our
hypothesis is that qualitative representations and analogical learning
are central in human cognition, and that these ideas provide the basis
for new technologies that will help us create more human-like AI
systems. We illustrate using examples from vision, language, and
reasoning. These advances should support building software social
organisms, that interact with people as collaborators rather than tools,
which ultimately could revolutionize how AI systems are built and used.

The Zoom link is directly available at the JAII Homepage <https://jaii.eu/>

--
Prof. Dr. Barbara Hammer
Machine Learning Group, CITEC