Connectionists: Four Tenure-Track Assistant Professors with Education Profile at Dept of AI, University of Groningen

Matias Valdenegro Toro m.a.valdenegro.toro at rug.nl
Wed Sep 14 06:53:11 EDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

The Department of Artificial Intelligence, University of Groningen, The Netherlands, is
hiring four Tenure Track Assistant Professors with Education Profile.

These positions entail 60% of your time on education (including teaching courses and
supervision of Bachelor and Master thesis in our AI programs), 30% on research, and 10%
on organizational service. After five years you will be assessed for tenure (a permanent
position) and promotion to Associate Professor. The initial contract is for seven years.

The topics we are looking for these professorships are:
- 1x Robotics
- 1x Hybrid Intelligence
- 1x Reinforcement Learning
- 1x Natural Language Processing

These positions will be embedded in the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer
Science and Artificial Intelligence. The Bernoulli Institute has expertise in Cognitive
Engineering, Visualization, Cognitive Modeling, Multi-agent systems and Machine
Learning. These provide the local context for the position. In addition, there are strong
collaborations with the University Medical Center Groningen. Furthermore, the Bernoulli
Institute will participate in the new Jantina Tammes school for Digital Society, Technology
and Artificial Intelligence.

Teaching and campus life are all in the English Language. The University of Groningen is
among the top 100 universities worldwide according to the most important rankings (
https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/profile/facts-and-figures/position-international-rankings
) and we can happily and emphatically underline that the working conditions and the
community spirit at this university are totally inviting.

Groningen is a beautiful city that fulfils every expectation how a dutch city should look
like, all with many canals, large sailboats anchoring in the city center, medieval buildings,
high quality public transportation and railway links and most charming sidestreets.

The conditions of employment are governed by the Collective Labor Agreement of Dutch
Universities available at https://www.universiteitenvannederland.nl/en_GB/cao-universiteiten.html . These positions are at Scale 11 depending on your qualifications and
work experience. There are holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8%
and 8.3% of your yearly salary, meaning in practice roughly 14 monthly salaries are paid
each year.

The application deadline is September 29. All the relevant information and application is
available at
https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/job-opportunities/?
details=00347-02S0009H2P&cat=wp

We look forward to your application, if you have any question, please contact us.
--
Dr. M.A (Matias) Valdenegro Toro
Assistant Professor for Machine Learning