Connectionists: Help in finding a journal about Psychology and Neural Networks

Jochen Triesch triesch at fias.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Nov 18 06:26:01 EST 2022

Hello Sofia,

there are many journals to choose from. It sounds like a natural „home" for your work might be the IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems (https://cis.ieee.org/publications/t-cognitive-and-developmental-systems). Then again, many (if not most) psychological journals are also featuring neural network modeling work on a regular basis, with Developmental Science (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/14677687) being just one example.

Having said that, more engineering-oriented journals usually like to see some advance of the „developmental“ method over the state of the art in engineering, while psychological journals usually want to see the neural network explain some psychological phenomenon in a new or improved way. Work that does neither is indeed more difficult to publish, I’d say. Should it be that way? I usually recommend to my students to choose one approach or the other and avoid being in the "no man’s land" in between.

Best regards,
  Jochen Triesch

--
Prof. Dr. Jochen Triesch
Johanna Quandt Chair for Theoretical Life Sciences