Connectionists: Evidence for single-cell abstractions in the brain

Rothganger, Fredrick frothga at sandia.gov
Wed Jun 15 07:26:40 EDT 2022

Asim wrote: "It’s important to understand that there is plenty of neurophysiological evidence for abstractions at the single cell level in the brain."

We should be cautious about how we interpret electrophysiological data. They are extremely sparse readings taken at random locations in a complex circuit. That some subset of them correlate with certain stimuli does not necessarily make them a representation of those stimuli. See https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2016/05/26/055624.full.pdf

(This comment does not represent an opinion about the larger discussion in which Asim's statement was made.)
Could a neuroscientist understand a microprocessor? - bioRxiv<https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2016/05/26/055624.full.pdf>
Could a neuroscientist understand a microprocessor? Figure 1: Example behaviors. We use three classical video games as example behaviors for our model organism – (A) Don-key Kong (1981), (B) Space Invaders (1978), and (C) Pitfall(1981).
www.biorxiv.org