Connectionists: Weird beliefs about consciousness

Andras Lorincz lorincz at inf.elte.hu
Fri Feb 18 00:49:22 EST 2022

Dear Asim:
This is how I see it – without warranties…
Consciousness at a low level is necessary for a distributed system with computational delays and learned predictive capabilities. It can arise as a consequence of having synchronous internal predictive and generative representations and external observations about the actions of the self. All components of this loop; (a) observation of the actions, (b) representation of the actions, (c) actions should be synchronous. That has consequences on free will in the 200 ms domain. Since model-based prediction can achieve synchronicity, the same system can be developed further for more extended time scales.
Then -- in agreement with Hava Siegelmann's proposal -- the problem disappears. The curse of dimensionality remains, and, from the point of view of intelligence, there is a need for algorithms that can overcome the curse and find the relevant (and few) components for problem-solving.
One such component is the self, its own features, including its own capabilities and desires. Self-consciousness emerges if the self is separated from the rest of the world (being a more challenging task and developing slowly for many autistic people, for example). Constraints of the self can be established, and free will can play a role within these constraints. It is very different from low-level consciousness.
Best,
András

Andras Lorincz
http://nipg.inf.elte.hu/
Fellow of the European Association for Artificial Intelligence
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=EjETXQkAAAAJ&hl=en
Department of Artificial Intelligence
Faculty of Informatics
Eotvos Lorand University